Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:20:54 -0800
From:         Glen Buhlmann <gbuhlman@direct.ca>
Subject:      WCM Roof Seals (minus the Kool Seal)

Well, last weekend we took the old rubber seals off of Lief's roof. They were still in fair conditions but we wanted to recover the roof with Kool Seal and I had already purchased new seals for Fritz (before he had his unfortunate accident).

So I scrubbed the roof with a wire brush, nylon scouring pads, and TSP. As I look at the hamburger meat that used to be my hands I think that maybe it would have been wise to wear gloves. But it was a warm sunny weekend and us Vancouverites lose all use of brain cells when the spring sunshine arrives so....

Anyway, it camer pretty clean. I was surprised because it had really looked like crap before (almost completely dark brown and black). So Idecided to put some bleach on it and leave it for an hour or so. When I rinsed it off it was almost completely white!!! So I just washed it again to get rid of any risidual bleach and stood back to admire the work.

As a result I decided not to use the Kool Seal because it already looked great and I didn't want to risk making it look worse.

On Sunday I put the new seals on. They work great except that I'm not too pleased with the way the flat seal across the top of the poptop meets up with the one that goes all the way around (with an alumininum clip in it). The seals that were on there seemed to be one piece or they were vulcanized together or something like that. I guess they were the original Westfalia seals???

Anyway, Lief looks great now. New-looking white roof, new curtains. As soon as I get some pictures taken I'll scan them and put them up on the web (wish I had taken before pictures; Doh!).

So if anyone in the Vancouver area wants Kool Seal (2 quarts) and Kool Patch Fibreglass (1 roll) and Cement (1 quart), drop me a line. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Glen Buhlmann | I know it all. I just can't remember | | GB Computer Consulting | it all at once. | | Burnaby, BC | | | gbuhlman@direct.ca | | | '77 VW Westfalia | | +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5288/ | +------------------------------------------------------------------+