Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:39:10 +0800
From:         Peter.Vonclemm@Eng.Sun.COM (Peter von Clemm)
Subject:      Re: Sun Roof (T2)

>>Michel O'Hara Escaravage wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>> I've got an 85 Westy, and I'm curious if anyone's every cut out >>> the 'luggage rack' and installed a sunroof on one of these. I don't >>> need the extra space, and it would make summer driving a hell of a lot >>> better (no AC). Does this make any sense or is there some problem that >>> I'm overlooking? >> >>Michael, I saw a Westfalia Vanagon last summer that had a sunroof AND >>the luggage rack in front. The owner had cut a square out of the center >>of the luggage rack and put in one of those glass/removable sunroofs. It >>wasn't a very sano installation, but not noticeable unless you looked in >>from above. >>Nathan >>73 Superbeetle >>81 Westfalia Vanagon >>92 Jetta GL >>

I put an aftermarket sunroof into the front 1/4 of the raisable shell. The sunroof has a crank which pops up the back portion and then slides the glass 2/3 of the way back. The crank can be reached from the driver's seat so it's convenient to operate while underway. Helps ventilation a lot and you can get to stuff that may be on the roof racks. For rainy climates, this solution is not as good as the stock VW vent because you can't leave it open more than a bit without getting water inside.

PvC

'90 Syncro Westfalia