Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:52:32 -0500 (EST)
From:         Your what hurts? <bbach@terra.cnct.com>
Subject:      Advice needed on '74 Custom Safare

Hello folks,

I think I may be on the verge of fulfilling a 10 yr. dream - getting a VW camper. But first, I figured I'd better bounce some things off the friendly people on this list.

Here's what I know about the bus so far:

1974 Custom Safare (non-poptop camper)

Current owner (3rd) reports:

- Originally a California vehicle, moved to Ohio, then to NY - Current engine has 32K miles on it - "compression is excellent - all cylinders between 140 & 150" - Minor rust around windows, repaired - Undercoating in good shape - Mechanically sound - 90% to 95% restored, according to him - Has been ordered by parental unit to sell some vehicles or move out

Asking price is $2,000, includes spare doors and motor.

Now, details on me, the potential buyer:

- Will be 1st time bus owner, 3rd time VW owner - Zero experience on air-cooled engines, but generally fearless - Looking to use this vehicle primarily for weekend getaways - Unencumbered by potential spousal evil eye - Clearly have a few screws loose

So, whaddya y'all think? Could this be the bus for me? Is this a fair price for this bus? Everything else I've looked at in this area (metro NY/NJ) is priced in the $5K and up category.

I would appreciate any comments, especially on specifics to look for when I go check it out on Saturday. Responses via this list or private e-mail are all greatly appreciated. I'll post the outcome of my visit if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance,

John Breitenbach bbach@cnct.com