Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 23:44:43 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      re EV clutch ped. tension spring

> >could one of my fellow EVers w/ stick shift tell me where the >upper anchor point for the clutch pedal tension spring is? >i know where the lower anchor point is, but the upper part >of the spring went rocketing up into the lower part of the dash >somewhere...

Well, looking at the pedal cluster assembly picture, it's going to be hard to describe! But I'll try: There is a large metal piece called the mounting bracket through which a pivot pin runs that holds both the clutch and brake pedals in place. Attached to the passenger compartment side of this bracket is another piece of metal, somewhat L-shaped, with 4 holes on the large side, and a smaller hole on the bent side. It looks like the spring either fits into that hole, or else fits over a pin sticking out of that hole.

The front of the plate looks something like this:

and the view from the top:

| | <<< - spring hooks in over here | +-----------------

Okay, I went out to look just to see for myself - the right holes of this plate line up with the brake pedal, and has a switch hooked to it; the left-most hole contains some sort of electro-mechanical plunger attached to the clutch pedal, and thus lines up with the clutch pedal. Anyway, the hole where the spring goes is pretty obvious - it's that big one right over the pedal. A bit of grease around it.

While I was looking under there, I found this piece of paper stuck under some wires. Has a VW logo, some German labeling, and a bunch of code numbers. Who knows. I put it back - maybe somebody was stopping a rattle with it!

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------