Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Mar 1996 03:24:23 -0500
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 1600 Rebuild Notes...

Ken wrote:

All the gudgeon pins I've had any experience with tended toward tight--I assume this is normally the case. When installing the pistons, Muir says to bang the pins in. He's nice about it, he says to put something behind the piston to soak up the shock, but basically you whang the mothers in there with a hammer. That's the way I handled the last short block I did.

But I didn't like it. I know bearing material (in the rods, in this case) is deliberately soft, and I can't see how it can withstand being levered on with a force like that without ending up beveled. I don't care whether you're just tapping, if it's enough force to push that pin through it's got to be orders of magnitude *more* force compressing the edge of the rod bearing.

Has anybody pressed the pins in with a huge C-clamp or something? Am I being too prissy here? ------

I like that term "gudgeon pin"- very odd

I just tap them in. It ought to be tight. It's easier if you warm up the cylinder with a propane torch first, and oil the pin. I dont tap directly on the pin, i use this angled widgit on a 3/8 extension. I also like to pad the back of the cylinder with rags. I dont know how much difference it makes, but being a Virgo, i like to pay attention to details. I feel like it could hurt the piston, being hit against the head studs. (note excessive amount of masculine terminolgy in engines- i'm feeling very macho now)

clara :)