Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:22:47 -0500 (EST)
From:         A681426K@edinboro.edu
Subject:      '70 westy help?

Hi, I'm Amy and I am now the proud owner of an engineless, rust-enhanced, beautiful 1970 Westfalia. Unfortunately, I don't know where to begin! I have enough money saved up to buy an engine and put it in or do bodywork. Does it make more sense to do one before the other? What are the pros and cons of using fiberglass to repair rust? (I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that thought!) I know that is far from an authentic restoration, but that is not my goal--I want transportation (and a really wonderful vehicle that I can do some serious traveling in!) This bus has been all over the country with the Dead and it's previous owner. He blew the engine and sold it to the guy I bought it from, on whose lot it sat for 2 years while it rusted along the bottom. I'm in Pennsyvania, so that's a very common problem. Now it needs, in addition to an engine and bodywork, a generator and lots of little parts replaced. It needs rubber and some minor pop-top repairs and the interior is beautiful (by my standards). I haven't gotten very involved with any repairs or restorations yet, so I'm sure there's plenty of surprises lingering in there. One big plus: the guy I bought it from has a '71 bus on the lot too that he can't get the title for, so he said I could swap any parts I need, like doors and lights and stuff. The '71 has much nicer doors (especially since my passenger-side door has a bees' nest in the hole where the mirror should be screwed in) and other odds and ends. We already took the tail-light assemblies and grill. So that's my introduction. I am a college student, so I don't have much time or money (so why am I doing this? :) ). But one of the biggest things I need is advice. So if anyone has any for me, toss it my way! Thanks,

Amy :)