Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:19:23 -0500
From:         ORIOLEBOB@aol.com
Subject:      71 Crew Cab questions

I'm new to this list. Joel Walker saw my posting concerning a 71 crew cab on the vintage vw list and invited me over here for a visit (thanks Joel!).

I'm in N. Virginia and I've been attempting to work a deal on a 71 crew cab that seems to be in pretty fair condition. It's pretty solid underneath (owner had VW Restorations in Manassas replace the inner rocker panels, front and rear outriggers and jack points). The body is pretty rusted (outer rocker panels?) along the full length bottom part of the body on both sides. The bed is not bad (surface rust) and two out of three drop gates are good (the left side gate is rusted through). The interior is fair (but needs some good cleaning). The owner has the canvas cover for the bed, too. Mechanically: it runs okay. Engine and tranny are in good shape. Steering is tight (good) and brakes are solid.

My questions concern getting it in decent enough shape (appearance wise) so I don't get complaints from the homeowners association about having an eyesore parked in the drive (my wife won't give up her side of the garage and my 68 vert occupies the other side). Are there body replacement parts available? My Wolfsburg West catalogue has parts for earlier busses but not a 71? Do other non-cab bus parts fit on crew cabs? What mail order parts houses do you folks go to for body parts? I'll need a side drop gate -- anyone have a decent one for sale?

The owner has been asking 3,000. Recently he has said 2,500 is as low as he will go. Does this sound reasonable given the description?

I've enjoyed the list over the past week and look forward to any advice you have for me.

Thanks, Bob Busick (OrioleBob@AOL.com) '68 Beetle (vert)