Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 04 Mar 1996 09:52:37 +0000
From:         "Joseph F. Fournier II" <jfourni@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Checking for Cracked Heads

It occurs to me that there ought to be some trick to checking heads for cracks, like spraying something on the head that would help you detect fine cracks. I've seen heads with cracks, but I've never discovered them myself. I overlooked the cracks ... and frankly didn't know what I was looking for. Is there a "job aid" that makes detecting cracks easier or fool proof?

I'm hoping to pick up a second set of heads to rebuild my "spare" case this summer. So far, my plan is to:

1. Carry wire brush with me to swap meets.

2. Check the head truck (you know, stacks of heads for $5/ea.) for my part number.

3. Brush off the head and check for cracks, problems with cooling vanes, etc.

4. Try to find four to six heads with the plan of getting two good ones out of the lot. (Hey, that'll be $15/head if the plan works)

5. Learn how to refurbish/repair heads or find a local machinist I can trust. (My last one didn't impress me.)

Thanks! Joe