Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:57:19 +0000
From:         "2 Amys and a Bren" <bren@pacific.telebyte.com>
Subject:      GEX update...

Howdy!

Some of you may remember my previous post praising GEX (if not their product). I still think they're running an outfit with good customer service in mind. But due to my recent experiences (most notably my engine dying after 15,000 carefully driven miles) my opinion of the engines built by them and purchased by me is becoming less enthusiastic. My newest (2nd) engine has been installed and runs fanstastic! Lots of power! Runs smooth! Runs quiet! Only leaks about a quart of oil a week! Gotta love it! The fellas at the shop cite "weeping pushrod tubes" as the source of my irritation. I found GEX on the web: http://www.gexintl.com/ and fired off e-mail to the warranty department. I was gentle, yet firm. I mentioned that I'd give them a call the next day(which was last Monday) and follow up on the letter. To their credit, they called me at about 9:00 am on Mon. and were quite accomodating. They (hopefully) sent new tubes to the shop and are taking care of about 2/3 the labor cost. I thought that part sucked. I paid for new tubes which were actually bad, and now I get to pay again for more tubes which I can only hope are good. I didn't say that on the phone though, because I'm weak. Anyway, I'll update as things progress.

On a more positive note, thanks to those that gave advice, I may have figured out what I am driving. If a Safare hightop means that the roof of the bus is about 3 feet above the gutter line, then I got one. The top 3' of my bus is fiberglass and is an excellent simulation of a kite when driving the Columbia River Gorge. It's often more like piloting than driving. I got a bed up top and a bed down below. A sink, an electric fridge (that works perfectly and keeps beer cold). Behind the passenger seat is a small square box with a cushion that lifts off to reveal yet more storage. The fridge, sink, (no stove) countertop and closets/storage places are all behind the driver. If I knew where to find the serial #, I'd tell you what that was too. The year is '79. Color is brown. Perfect, straight body. Some paint chips on the nose, etc..but the spare tire on the front provides some protection.

Ok, sorry. I've painted enough of a picture for you.

Brendon Connelly bren@pacific.telebyte.com

P.S.-- Bren Smith: Sorry I didn't reply, I am a deleting fool! Love your name though!!