Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 1996 21:20:24 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '88 Power Steering - ATF Dexron ??

In a message dated 96-03-30 10:50:56 EST, ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca (Alistair Bell) writes:

> >Dennis, your comment "GL-5 or better" implies that GL-5 is a superior >lubricant compared to GL-4. I thought that the difference was that GL-5 >has additives that may be corrosive to VW syncromesh rings (they are made >out of brass or some such alloy?). GL-4 is recomended in the VW (and >BMW325) owner's manual for the transmission, and GL-5 >for the differential (where applicable). > >Have you seen any trannies that have failed syncros and you can attribute >the failure to GL-5 lubrication? > >nit-pickingly yours, > >

GL-5 is a better drade of lubricant and GL-6 is now becoming available. The problem was that the GL-5 eliminates friction better than the GL-4 and VW was concerned I guess that thier syncro design would not work properly with the improved lubricant. Instead of testing thier transaxles with the improved additive package or redesigning them, they just decided to keep GL-4 as the standard. In fact, in the automatics, GL-5 is recomended for the final drives. As for the brass parts being corroded by gear oils, this was aproblem when the extreme pressure aditive packages contained sulfur. Remember that gear oil smell of years ago. Sulfur addditives are hardly used now and this is not a concern in an automotive gearbox. Use the GL-5 or 6 and your gears will love you. Synthetics should also be considered. The extra money is cheap insurance for your expensive gearbox. Dennis.