Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Mar 1996 08:38:38 -0800 (PST)
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: I heard a 'nasty' rumor!

So RGOLEN@umassd.edu says: > > > Get a Clue! The T4 has sold over 1 million units world wide. It is readily > apparant that the US is no longer VW's major van (or hell...car for that > matter) market. The T4 is the number one selling van of its type in Europe. >

Ah, the "Suburban Saga" rears it's ugly head again! :)

Well, I won't argue with Ric on the facts that the market for the Vanagon has dwindled in the U.S. Although, there are many people out there still seeking them out as an alternative to the high priced EV. The pricing problem being really the fault of the U.S. and not the vehicle. Heck, people are seeking out the breadloafs as an alternative to the Vanagon because of reliability and price reasons.

I will say that either vehicle could be made to be a more sought after one if more drive-train options were given. I'd say, over-all, VW botched the job on both vehicles in different areas. I'm not sure who is in charge of their air-conditioning engineering, but it sure does need more thought.

But, I still think I got the best vehicle for the money for my purposes. None of the other vans, both American and Foreign could not match "even close" my (& my wife's) needs as well as the Vanagon. The EV does a pretty good job, but I don't like the narrower bed. I know that's a personal choice, but it's mine, just like Ric prefers the height of the EV, which is a valid personal preference.

If VW were really to bring back the Vanagon, (which I'd be really suprised, not too mention all the groans that could be heard in the VW service departments) They'd really have to work out the electrical and head leak bugs as well as work a better strategy in the drive train area.

It's really too bad that the air-cooled had to be dropped. That, itself, is the real problem with the current VW, IMHO.

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com