Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Mar 96 22:02 CST
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      68: What is this damnable noise???

Some experienced person please help with this. It's about to drive me bonkers:

This noise is new. It showed up all at once.

The noise is low-frequency and it reverberates throughout the bus. I can't tell where it's coming from, it depends which way I turn my head. The noise begins precisely at 43 miles per hour, and increases in frequency and volume the faster the bus goes. It doesn't grind; it's somewhere between a hum and a sustained moan. There is a vibration to it but the vibration is tactile, not aural; you can only feel it.

If this noise was coming from a musical instrument, it would be a double bass playing a sustained note with a bow. Midrange (for a bass). It's a bit like riding in a large passenger aircraft and sitting on the wing, but without the whine and whistle. Get it? Like a low, smooth, sustained head-buzz. Though it sounds *very* much like a sympathetic vibration, it does not throb at any speed, nor does it disappear at any speed above 43.

The noise disappears entirely when the bus is taking curves. It only happens on straights.

The noise does not care a bit about engine speed. Doesn't matter whether I'm in fourth or third. But I can make it cycle with the accelerator, putting it under load and backing off. It's much louder under load.

I replaced the right rear wheel bearings. If I had to guess, I'd say it's coming from the rear, and the right wheel had lots of play in it. Lovely new FAG bearings and seals with lots of slippery grease. Took five hours. The noise perseveres.

The CVs seem fine. Boots tight, no clicking in corners.

Today I had the trans oil changed. I do believe this trans is elderly; the syncros are balky and it has its bitching and moaning routine that it must do when warming up. But it has never yet popped out of gear. Changing the lube made no difference in the noise whatsoever. The old oil was not low, there was plenty of it. No chunks came out that I could see. No shavings stuck to the plug.

The day before the noise came to town, I had adjusted all the brake shoes and the parking brake. The cables are old and slack and I could not possibly have locked the parking brake on even if I didn't know what I was doing. None of the shoes are locked on. None of the hubs are hot when I stop. Transmission isn't hot, either.

There is no reason to believe that it is main bearings. This engine is reputed to be nearly new, there are no oil pressure problems, the bus uses no oil and has no leaks at all. Good power, good mileage, no smoke. Just passed emissions.

There are no symptoms other than aural ones (and no jokes from the vanagon@lenti wags)(as if I expected that to stop you) and the dimly-felt vibration. But this noise is *loud*.

This has got to be somewhere between the front of the cranshaft and the tire rubber. What in the hell is it?

--Ken '71 Bus, '68 Westy