Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         04 Mar 96 14:40:04 EST
From:         "Linda J. Bartnik" <76065.3075@compuserve.com>
Subject:      alternator transplant successful

Hey all, Sean here again. Well, yesterday we wrenched out the old alternator and today we put in a rebuilt one. Actually, we had a place rebuild my old one as no one else around had one in stock. But the place that did the rebuilding has a reputation for doing good work. Guy who rebuilt it said that all the diodes had been blown out from my dad putting the battery in backwards. Anyway, we got the new one in (and there really should be an easier way) and the alternator light on the dash goes out like it's supposed to. The voltage regulator apparently survived this encounter with reversed polarity electricity as it seems to be working. Also, (thank God) the fuel injection system is working as well as ever. I'm glad that there was no damage to any of those components. The backwards battery did cause a 12 amp fuse in the power line to my stereo to blow but that's been fixed. This was a successful job with minimal swearing and busted knuckles. However, I don't want to have to do that again anytime soon.

Till next time, Sean