Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Mar 96 19:26:51 EST
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      The dreaded ZOONING gestapo, what to do?

What do you do to get the dreaded zooning police off your back? Several of my neighbours and I have had trouble with them lately. The stupid regulations have forced me to pass on several vw busses in need of a loving home. My neighbor on the opposite side of the street had his Triumph TR6 towed, and another neighbor had two cars towed and even got sued by the town.

I can afford registration, but I cannot afford to insure them, and NY laws says registered cars have to be insured (or they'll suspend my licence). Until now I've put out of state plates on my unoperative vehichles to avoid having them towed, but I suspect they will eventually figure that one out too. Hey, last year they even made a big stink about my SO having a few ducks in our back yard, and made us get rid of them. (Although I didn't mind eating them). It's none of our immediate neighbors who is making fuzz. I think its somebody living somewhere else who hears about these zooning violations through rumours and who just loves to complain about things to the town.

Do you know of any creative solutions to the zooning regulation problem? Bob Hufford mentions he has historic plates on some of his busses. Does NY have this? How old does the vehicle have to be? Do you need insurance also?

I don't have a garage but I've though about putting some temporary structure like those RV "tents" camping world sells. Does this solve the problem, or will the get me for not having a building permit?

/Martin J