Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:44:21 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright" <SW@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Synthetic Gear Oil

Just got Kyra home last night, dealer replaced an oil seal & tested cooling system (ok) as part of the deal. Engine's nice & clean & no oil spots now!

Also as part of the deal was getting (and checking) all the papers since new - the engine, trans, muffler, and cat ($1480!!!) were all replaced at 166k, for a total of $11,500 before taxes... Ouch. :-) A quick check through the rest of it showed at least another $6-8K over the last 5 years or so, including regular oil changes (albeit at the rather long VW interval of 12,000 km). I also got the log book showing more details, and *every* manual that came with, even the little fridge & stove one :-))

Since we're due to leave for Calif in 6 weeks or so, I'd like to change engine & trans oil to synthetic - I've got some 5w50 already (& VW filters...), but have yet to find synthetic trans oil around here (Victoria). I got some for my Jetta a few years back at the dealer (they just pumped a few litres from a drum), but there must a better source!

BTW, has anyone experienced changes in compression readings? I tested 127-130-140-125 (I think, from memory), but a check three months ago at the dealer showed all 140-145, and previous checks indicated ranges from 130 up to 165 at different times over the past two years. Is this just a case of inaccurate gauges?

All in all, we're thrilled with our new family member, and having all papers & manuals makes it even better (kind of like a new car without the sticker shock... :-)

Shawn '88 Westy 322k (Kyra) '85 Jetta TD 341k (Jenni)