Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Feb 1996 10:43:39 -0700
From:         john@nbs.gov (John W Clark)
Subject:      Re: '84 Westy air-cooled

I'll vote that mechanic #1 is a wanna-be.

Bob Hoover's about balancing - it must apply to air flow too. I've heard that if your engine tin doesn't properly seal the air flow - particularly around the muffler (producing lots of heat) that the engine can be damaged quickly.

bummer to get on the road only to get off again. hope mechanic #2 does right.

john 82 westy

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: '84 Westy air-cooled Author: rfish@shell.acmenet.net at NBS-Internet-Gateway Date: 3/5/96 8:20 AM

Hello to all,

I had a mechanic install a rebuilt '78 air-cooled in my '84 Westy. The water-cooled did a number on itself. I'm new to VWs, but I think I *may* be learning fast that there are mechanics, and there are other wanna-be mechanics.

I put 500 easy miles on the rebuilt engine, per the mechanics suggestion. Then went on a trip, w/said mechanics blessing. To make a long story short, I was towed a couple of hundred miles to my destination. VW mechainic here said I had a hole in one of the pistons. Previous mechanic hadn't installed all the tin (baffling?) around the air-cooled engine and it overheated.

1st mechanic sez "enough" tin is there. The rest is a dust barrier. Folks, there was a good 4 or 5 inches of opening all around the engine. I have installed aluminum sheeting the best I could to block this opening.

My question to all you experienced VW owners; How tight does the metal work need to be around the engine? Do you agree with the 2nd mechanic, and my feelings, the 1st mechanic was negligent in not installing more tin? He, #2 guy, has agreed to take care of the engine. I paid a bundle to have him do the original work and I think I've learned something from the experience. But I want to be able to continue with my plans to knock around the countryside in my little Westy camper. I'm on Soc Sec disability and can't afford to be ripped off.

Now that I'm on the 'net and reading you guys, I should be able to avoid this in the future. Thanks a million for any and all comments you care to make.

Regards, Ron....I *think* I'll be the proud owner of a '84 Westy *sometime*