Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:05:59 -0400 (AST)
From:         Alain Abraham Joseph <x92fka@juliet.stfx.ca>
Subject:      Driving Westy to South America!

Hello all, In mid-September 1996 four St. Francis Xavier University Students, Steve Dorey, Al Joseph, Brian Starzomski, and Mark Toth, will be leaving Nova Scotia for a nine month journey to Southern Chile (Tierra del Fuego). We have the ultimate, a lime green '78 Westy as our chariott. 144,000 miles on her. For the most part we are VW rookies and WE NEED HELP (with our van). Problems/Questions we have: 1) Below half a tank our fuel gage doesn't work! (arrgh!) 2) High Beams occasionally stick "on". 3) Seal for pop-top is beyond hope. 4) gas-tank filler spout seal (at top where you fill'er up) leaks. (we have it sealed with silicone for now.) 5) What's with the superfluous muffler? 6) Heater box has holes in it. 7) She has 195/R14 tires (is that strange?)

there are more problems, but we won't get into those right now. we're also looking for any information about virtually anything anyone knows about the countries we'll be driving through- ie. all of central america, much of south america minus colombia and ecuador. if you know stuff, we'd love to hear from you! thanks a bunch. must go drink beer.

al and brian