Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         05 Mar 96 16:35:00 EST
From:         BOWMANR%em.EDW@localhost (Mr.Roger Bowman)
Subject:      Re: Headlight oddity

But that Chev alternator does have a few odd characteristics. When I first start the engine, the alternator light stays on, and voltage at the battery is rght around 11.5 to 12 volts-- obviously the alternator isn't alternating, and the battery is discharging as it supplies current for ignition, lites etc. When I rev the engine to about 3,000 rpm, suddenly the alternator light goes out, the headlights bet brighter, etc., and system voltage now measures around 13.6V. After that, the system operates correctly Seems to take a while to energize the alternator's coil enough for it to bootstrap itself into producing electricity.

GM, in whatever wisdom they happened to have laying around, designed some of their alternators to behave just as you described- delaying the start of the "charge" cycle for some short period of time. I can't remember just why GM decided this was a good idea; likely had something to do with emissions from a "cold" engine. In any case, test procedures for this series of alternators included "waiting" for some period of time (like, what....30 seconds?) before measuring the charging voltage and deciding the alt was dead. I suspect that the revving to 3,000 rpm has not much to do with the charging.

An alternate (!) explanation could have something to do with high base load (likes LOTS of accessories) dragging the voltage down during idle, or pulleys too small to keep the resting voltage up.

bowmanr%em@mhs.elan.af.mil Live Smart. Think for yourself. Transform the future.