Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:29:49 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Vanagon shock specifications

Just like a free lunch, we're all looking for shocks at some point in our ownership. Since i've publicly condemmed KYB's based upon my limited experiences 15 years ago, those are not an option for me. well, they ARE but i would never tell any of y'all i bought them. :)

in the Gabriel catalog the correct application for a vanagon (i don't remember the year range it covered, but it is at least for an '87):

Front 89867 Rear 89864

neither of these is routinely carried, so... the hunt begins for a replacement.

extended length collapsed length stroke up mtg low mtg Front 89867 14.50 10.12 4.38 -- --

Rear 89864 21.23 12.87 8.36 ES18 ES18

Dennis H. said look at Astro shocks, so....

the specs on these: Front G60076 14.43 9.40 5.03 S29 BP7

Rear G60077 22.79 14.01 8.78 ES18 ES18

the G60076&7 are routinely carried and are a gas light truck/van/RV shock.

now the nitty gritty... upper and lower mounting on the stock front vanagon shock is not specified, no data supplied. the rears match well with an 'ES18' mounting configuration. i looked at the mounting on the G60076 and it is the threaded rod on one end and the eared tabs on the other. i believe that is correct for a vanagon but i haven't looked for a long time.

anyone want to stake their electronic reputation on whether these specs are close enough to count? the collapsed length on the rears is really what bothers me. the G60077 has about an inch more length than the stock shock spec. will this be a problem with suspension travel?

any words appreciated.

-dan