Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 1996 23:47:21 -0400
From:         Bob <zaphod@mail.ameritel.net>
Subject:      [T1] A journey of sight and sound, inside the rear hubs...

Evening. This Sunday I spent approximately 3 hours discomboobulating the rear end of my '67. Boy are those nuts on tight. One nut was almost completely rusted through in one spot but was still stuck on like a pit bull on a mailman. Anyway, I noticed that the E-brake wasn't hooked up at all and on one side the brake lever and connecting link were gone! Anybody have these two items sitting on a shelf somewhere? I know where there's some splitties hiding but I want to avoid any more hub disassemblies if I can help it.

Yesterday I picked up some new shoes, a throttle cable, axle nut, and engine seals. I looked in the Bus Stop catalog and they have two different seals listed -- a firewall seal and the main engine seal (2 req'd). The place I was at only had one listed for both spots so I bought two. It just looks a flat piece of rubber -- unless it inflates like a life raft I'm gonna have some serious air leaks. When I look around the fan shroud I can see the heat exchanger flapper boxes. Am I missing some critical engine tin here? Maybe I better go scope out those other splitties... Oh, does the engine have to come out to install these seals? My first guess is "yes, and you need to learn how to do that anyway."

What's the minimum advised thickness for the brake drums? Mine have some minor scoring so I was thinking of having them shaved a bit. Also, since I have the wheels/drums off I was thinking of reduction gear/bearing maintenance. The bearings don't seem to have any play and don't make funny noises but the wheels are pretty hard to turn. Bob H., do you have any sermons on the subject planned/already written? I really have to buy the damn early manual. I have the [T2] Bentley but it's useless here.

After I drain the tranny and RGs what should I fill them with? 80-90W gear oil ok? I think I have some of that laying around. How much does it take to fill a tranny and a RG?

Thanks for any help.

Bob J. __\/__ . / ^ _ \ . |\| (*)(*) |/| ________.OOOo____oo____oOOO.__________ / Bob Johnson - Programmer \ | rjohnson@zeus.nesea2400.navy.mil | | Tracor ESD -- California, MD | | zaphod@atc.ameritel.net | \___________________Oooo.______________/ .oooO ( ) ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)