Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 96 0:16:01 EST
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      VW 1.9 diesel engine, candidate for engine swaps.

Hi, hows the engine swap team doing? VW has put up some exciting pictures of the 1.9 TDI engine on their web pages. This got me thinking on suitable diesel to diesel swaps for the vanagon. There is a particularly good picture of the new engine on:

http://www.vw.com/tech/art/engine.jpg

And a cross cut on

http://www.vw.com/tech/art/engine2.jpg

On the outside this engine looks pretty much the same as the 1.6 turbo diesel. Only difference is an added EGR circuit, and hookups for the intercooler. European car had an article on swapping one of the older 1.9 indirect injection diesels (sold in Canada) instead of a 1.6 in an older Golf. I typed in the relevant parts of the article below.

I can think of three diesel swaps that make sense to me: 1.6 turbo, 1.9 IDI, 1.9 TDI. Was/is there a 1.9 IDI turbodiesel, or is the canadian TD still a 1.6?

1.9 TDI: Type Direct-injected, intercooled turbo diesel Displacement 1896cc Bore/Stroke 79.5x95.5mm Output: 90bhp(66kW)@4000rpm Max. Torque: 149lb-ft(202Nm)@1900rpm

1.9 IDI Type Indirect injection diesel

Golf implementation (Canada) Output: 75 PS@ 4,200 RPM Max. Torque: 150 Nm @ 2,400 RPM

Transporter implementation (Europe): Output: 45 kW/61 PS bei 3700/min Max. Torque: 127 Nm at 1700-2500/min

1.6 TD Type Indirect injection turbo diesel Output: 68 PS at 4000 some RPM (Out of my head) Max. Torque: ??

I measured the clearances on my current 1.6 in my Vanagon. There seems to be room for the additional height of the 1.9 engine. In fact the injection pump is sticking up a lot higher than the engine, but even that one could be raised a cm or so.

The remaining thing to check is weather the vanagon "tilted" installation oil pan and pump can be transferred to the 1.9. Canadians with 1.9 Golfs, do you know if the 1.9 and 1.6 pan and pump are interchangeable?

A turbo swap would be more involved. I'm not sure that the turbo clears the lower engine mounting HW on the diesel vanagon. One would also have to figure out how to install another air cleaner and reroute the air intake hoses.

Does anybody know how much 1.9 IDI's goes for from the boneyards in Canada? Are there any here in the east?

/Martin J

-------------------------European Car article--------------------

(Swapping 1.6 to 1.9 in an old Golf.)

Swapping it out.

Moving up to the increased power and torque of the 1.9 engine is as simple ase swapping motors. This is easily accomplished in the average garage by a mechanic with the Bentley manual close at hand, and some experience in engine swapping. When the team at Eurospec began the swap on their Golf they had three areas of concern:

1. How would the exhaust downpipe match up with the exhaust manifold now that the head was 16 mm higher?

2. Would the 1.6 liter injection pump be adequate?

3. Would any other engine accessories need to be changed?

The answer to all three questions was "yes". There was enough clearance to allow the exhaust to clear with the 16 mm block. The bigger 1.9-liter engine runs with the 1.6-liter injection pump. The pump was adjusted to allow for the extra displacement. This is a simple matter of adjusting the fuel delivery. You can do this yourself. Eurospec experts will be able to help you. Eurospec includes injectors with each engine. Finally some small changes are needed to use the 1.9 engine. Eurospec includes a new timing belt and a smaller diameter idler pulley with each motor. All the accessories bolt on, but the cam timing belt cover requires some clearing. This is a job easily accomplished with a pair of tinners snips or a anibbler. Under the hood, with the 1.9 L motor you may need to trim the hood insulation.

Which head(s)?

Eurospec bough in a number of the 1.9-liter engine with either the 1.6-liter head, or the "D"-port 1.9-liter head. The 1.9 head has larger ports, as shown in the photos. It also features larger intake valves, 36mm instead of the 34mm intakes of the 1.6 L head. For best performance the 1.9 L head is the way to go.

Eurospec distributors can provide detailed instructions regarding the modifications needed to use the "D" head with your 1.6 manifold. Basically it's a matter of welding and "match-porting" the manifold to the intake manifold gasket. It's a job better left to someone with experience. Eurospec will be offering this optional service.

Eurospec is selling the 1.9 liter with the 1.9 head for $1895, and $1995 for the 1.9 with the 1.6 head.

I was pleasantly surprised driving the Eurospec Diesel Golf -- gobs of torque and smooth power delivery. If you've got a diesel that's tired, or could use a few extra foot pounds of torque, the complete 1.9 package is a good way to renew your oil burner's life. Fuel economy remains almost identical, as as you don't have to put your foot in it so much to keep up with the higher pace of todays roads.

Eurospec Racing Ltd. (408) 848-4203