Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 06 Mar 96 10:59:49 -0800
From:         Tom Carrington <thomas.w.carrington@bvs.com>
Subject:      RE: Vanagon towing HEAVY loads

> > Has anyone had experience towing heavy loads (1 ton or more) > repeatedly for long distances, and has it had any dire consequences > on > the VW engine or transaxle?

A few years ago, I drove my '80 Vanagon from Washington, DC to Atlanta, GA (500+ miles) and towed a VW Bug back. I assume the weight of the Bug has to be around 1800lbs or so. The Van ran great, but long uphills were best attacked with a running start. I would accelerate up to 80mph or so on the downhills, and be doing about 45 to 50mph at the top of the next hill.

The best part of the whole trip was near the bottom of a hill just North of Atlanta. I was going full out to get my speed up, and had just started up the first mile of a LONG hill. I was in the left lane doing a little over 70mph, and I passed another Vanagon doing approx 60mph in the #2 lane. The look on that driver's face as I passed him, with the Bug in tow, was priceless.

A few months after that, I drove to Newark, NJ and picked up 2 Chevy V-8 engines (new, on pallets) and a few bare V-4 OMC Outboard blocks. I had removed the middle seat, and had one engine there, and another on top of the engine. Talk about a leap of faith! If the Van engine needed attention, there would have been no way for me to get it!!! Once again, no problems!

Gotta love these Vanagons!

TomC 82 Westy Oil-burner 65 Notchback