Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 96 8:19:33 PST
From:         Brian M. Miller <miller@spk.hp.com>
Subject:      EGR for aircooled vanagon

I just read a posting that implied that an aircooled vanagon operating without EGR would overheat and fail prematurely. Is this true? I recently purchased a 1980 vanagon (if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it) and the previous owner removed the EGR. If this is potentially fatal I want to know and restore the EGR.

In the event that it is critical to have EGR, does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the parts? I don't know what I am looking for. Recommendations for a knowledgeable used (?) parts dealer who could walk me through the required pieces over the phone?

On a related subject: The vanagon's exhaust system is rotting out. Suprisingly, it did pass emissions testing, but the system leaks and I'm sure the Cat. is shot. I have heard that exhaust components are very expensive so I went to my local dealer to establish a worst case price. I intended then to shop around and see if I couldn't do better.

Well, I don't know the proper names for all the exhaust components. But the large manifold-like piece which joins the exhaust headers from both sides of the engine and also has a an integral U-shaped pipe (which folds the exhaust back into the Cat.) is no longer available from the dealer. VW does not stock this part any longer; At least, according to my local dealer. The other items (Cat., muffler, and tail pipe) appear to still be available.

Now the issues: 1) I need to be emissions compliant. If I cannot obtain the original exhaust system is it OK to use the "European" exhaust system. It is my present understanding that the European exhaust system is illegal because it does not have a Cat. and is not EPA approved. Ultimately I suppose I will have to take this up with the local EPA office, but any insight/comments would be appreciated. [I have observed the European exhaust for sale thru Parts Place. The ad represents my total knowledge of this exhaust system.]

2) If I were to use the European exhaust system, would it have the proper connections for the EGR?

3) If I want to restore the original exhaust system, any suggestions on where I might find the "no-longer-available" part?

Brian Miller miller@spk.hp.com '72 Type II, '80 Vanagon (both campers)