Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:18:48 EDT
From:         "Edward Claiborne Gould" <CLAIBORN@cw-f1.umd.umich.edu>
Subject:      re:split c.v. boot

Date sent: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:16:07 EDT

Date sent: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:06:45 EDT

In response to your split c.v. boot, I recommend completely disassembling all 4 joints, along with cleaning, repacking, and replacing the boots. I just did the job on my '72 and it wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Doing the whole job because of one split boot may seem like a lot of extra work but it's not if you look at the big picture. When i did mine, I got the german boot kit, and factory grease. Two tubes for each joint. The total for that came to around $68 but i don't expect to be doing it again for a LONG time. The main reason i recommend cleaning and repacking all joints is because you may have one or more getting ready to go and not know it. Also, when was the last time they were repacked? I think that's supposed to be a 30,000 mile job. Anyway, I thought i had one bad joint but as it turns out, the other three were about to have their revenge. I ended up replacing all four at a price of $35 per used original joint. As for a time scale, It took 40 minutes to remove all the joints and about an hour and a half to reinstall them. The time in between really depends on how bad the joints are, if you can reuse them, count on about 2.5 hours to disassemble, clean, and change the boots. If you need to buy joints, count on an overnight wait for parts. The job seriously isn't that bad. If you decide to do it or want more information, write me and i will give you a detailed decription of what to do and a bunch of tricks i came up with to make the job easier. good luck. Ed.