Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 06 Mar 1996 09:44:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: Headlight oddity

>When I rev the engine to about 3,000 rpm, >suddenly the alternator light goes out, the headlights bet brighter, etc., >and system voltage now measures around 13.6V. After that, the system >operates correctly <snip> >In any case, test procedures for this series of >alternators included "waiting" for some period of time (like, what....30 >seconds?) before measuring the charging voltage and deciding the alt was >dead. I suspect that the revving to 3,000 rpm has not much to do with the >charging.

Well, a few times recently I've started the engine to do some carb adjustments, and not revved it up as mentioned. Fifteen minutes later, the alternator light was still on. When I finally did rev it, the light turned off when I hit about 3200 rpm, and stayed off after that.

>An alternate (!) explanation could have something to do with high base load

>(likes LOTS of accessories) dragging the voltage down during idle, or >pulleys too small to keep the resting voltage up.

This is very possible. The V6anagon has an electric radiator cooling fan installed by the PO, which runs all the time the ignition is on, even when the engine is newly started and still cold. One of my to-do projects, is to install a *working* temperature switch and connecting it to the fan relay... now that I have a reliable temperature gauge to tell me I did it wrong before the engine cooks itself. This will leave the fan off until the engine warms up enough to need it. Might let the engine run a little warmer, too, which might help gas mileage-- I've never smelled or felt the least bit of overheating, and the gauge always reads right around 170F, though we all know how accurate temp gauges can be <not>.

BTW, I found the cause of the headlight oddity that started this thread, I think. A loose 12V connection to the headlight switch! The PO had evidently removed/replaced the connector a few times, and the 12V line from the ignition switch had pushed right out of the plastic connector. The brass retaining tab on the connector was bent all the way back-- looks like something gave it quite a shove! :-O

Thanks for all your assistance, listmembers-- vanagon@lenti 4ever!

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html *** NOW *** New pictures of the V6anagon engine installation, and before&after pictures of the Coupevertible at haircut time! ---------------------------------------------------------------------