Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:52:37 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <m.radtke@elm.az05.bull.com>
Subject:      RE: CDIs

Brian et al,

Well, you caught me with a simplification that I made. Actually, the spark voltage (at the coil) on an oscilloscope looks roughly like what you described; a decaying sinusoid. However, I think that you may have broadened the study beyond the actual spark.

The first peak has a rapid rise determined by your formula where the capacitance is the point capacitor in a Kettering ignition, and just stray capacitance in either capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) or inductive discharge ignition (IDI). Indeed, the inductance is from the coil. (This makes for a fast rise time in electronic ignitions and may create radio interference problems. Various types of spark plug wires are used to slow this rise time at the plug to reduce this problem.)

The top of the first peak is limited by the striking of the spark. The duration of the spark is the length of the top of this truncated first sinusoidal cycle. Note that it is the only time in this picture that a spark is present.

The remaining decaying sinusoidal cycles are as you described, with the resistance mostly in inductor losses and radiated energy in the form of radio waves.

My original time constant simplification deals only with the top of that first peak when the spark is struck. The stray capacitance it tiny for an IDI and thus can be ignored during the spark, leaving only the inductance which describes the energy source, and the spark resistance which describes the energy sink to consider. In other words L/R.

In the CDI case the coil acts as a pulse transformer and the inductance of the coil can be ignored pretty much for the duration of the pulse (but certainly not the decay). Since it is only the pulse that we're interested in, and the capacitor describes the energy source, I think R*C roughly describes the time constant of the spark.

Now I admit that the spark itself is not a linear resistance. However, my point is only that for energy supplied by an inductor versus a capacitor the duration of the actual spark has opposite relationships.

If I am correct, bigger gaps are better for CDI, smaller for IDI. My 60's measurements confirmed this. However, good science requires replication, and I was hoping that someone on this list could do that for all our benefit.

BTW, both CDI and IDI don't wear points electrically. In modern instances, both also eliminate points in favor of electronic pickups.

I am still curious about what "modern" computer controlled cars use for their ignitions. My shop manuals only show black boxes.

Mike