Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:07:17 -0800 (PST)
From:         Scott Beckstead <sbeckst@dpc.com>
Subject:      questions about original air cleaners and tin

Hi Folks, I find myself in need of a stock air cleaner. I recently had to rebuild my 30-PICT-1 carb and the PO had a stupid aftermarket wire mesh type air filter on it. It fell off and was eaten (the rubber part) by the lower pulley. I replaced it with another stupid aftermarket job with a paper filter and some of my carb problems went away. I was experiencing strange behavior like the engine would quit when coming to a stop. The idle is still kinda strange but it now idles at less than a thousand rpm when warm at near two thousand when cold. I suspect my idle mixture is still not right and I'll look into it this weekend. I will need the stock air cleaner when I have to smog the vehicle next year and I suspect that it will give me better performance than the aftermarket types. I have a '69 with a 30-PICT-1 carb on a 1600 sp engine. If anyone knows of or has one of these air cleaners please let me know. Also there is a place in the tin for a pre-heater hose to go thru and it has a blocking plate over it now. I'd like to restore the tin to the correct configuration if possible. What is missing besides the hose to the carb?

Thanks

Scott

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- A nation that trades liberty for security deserves neither!. Ben Franklin

sbeckst@dpc.com <Scott Beckstead>