Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 1996 21:45:36 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      MIG welder advice needed

Well, comes the time I'm looking for my own MIG, had been using a neighbors at home but now that I've got a job and am way to far from the parents house and neighbors I started looking. His was a very nice HTP America 160 amp unit. And I called them first, they sent much nice literature about why one should never buy a $300 MIG and nice catalog detailing their product line. Their cheapest unit is $550 for a very heavy duty 100 amp 20% duty cylce model, then they jump to $750 for their 140 amp model (which oddly for this size is still 110V). So I looked at ye old Harbor Freight who only appears to want $399 for their 220V 150 amp model, specs seem reasonable but when you call them they tell you only gauranteed 90 DAYS!!!, 2 year warranty is another $80, hardly confidence inspiring. Look at Daytona MIG out of HMN, used on Shade Tree Mechanic on TV, seems nice enough 140 amp model about $550, similar for a 140 amp Lincoln from Eastwood Corp. Now SAM'S club has 90 amp and 140 amp Century models for $300 and $500 respectively, the 140 amp is a 220V model and seems quite reasonable built, though HTP sells replacement guns and makes snide remarks about Century as well. I'm sort of leaning toward the Century 140 at the moment anyway as the lower current draw of a 220V unit impresses me, plus both Century units carry 2 year warranties, and 5 year transformer warranties. In fact due to that I'm almost tempted to go with the 90 amp Century as I'm problably not realistically going to use this all that much, still the 20% duty cycle at 85 amps would be a constant annoyance as I'd always be waiting to weld, plus I too always believe in buying a bit more capacity than you need. Anyway certainly the prices on the HTP and Daytona seem out of the question even though the quality is undoubtedly superior. If anyone has experience with any of these and would like to steer my decision, I'm looking for input. I do note the HTP catalog is full of great stuff though and I strongly suggest everyone pick one up at 800-USA-WELD their auto darkening LCD helmets FI are down to $139 for the base model, plus prices on stuff like cold galvanizing weld through primer at $4.50 a can is much better than what I had been paying locally for CRC Zinc-It.

Thanks John vwbus@tcpbbs.com