Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 1996 23:39:17 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: disconnecting syncro driveshaft

In a message dated 96-03-06 20:09:58 EST, Porter_Fred%PAX9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil writes:

> >List members, > >Would there be any ill effects from disconnecting the syncro drive sh= >aft?=20 > This may improve gas mileage and eliminate (?) possibility of damage= > to the=20 >viscous clutch during a long drive. > >I know that this would defeat the purpose of having the syncro, but I= > am=20 >considering a late spring/early summer cross country drive and would = >like to=20 >make the drive more economy (ecological) minded and also reduce chanc= >e of=20 >wear and tear to the van. > >What are List thoughts on this modification? > >later, >porter_fred%pax9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil >relax and spin >87 syncro=20 >=BF

Eeeeek! What are all those "=20"s in your message?

About the Syncro & driveshaft: I think that not having the driveshaft in might slightly (very silghtly) increase the wear on the Syncro's viscous coupling. In normal operation both sides of the coupling are rotated at the same speed, the back side from the transmission & the front side by the front wheels. By not having the driveshaft installed, the viscous coupling would need to keep the coupling's input shaft rotating and this might add a slightly greater strain on the coupling. I think the only fuel milage gained would be by not carrying the weight of the driveshaft - probably about .001 mpg.

Jim Davis