Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Mar 1996 18:13:18 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Emissions, engine swaps, full-flow filters, 76 balls

Someone said the catalyst accounts for .1% HC, someone else said 50% of their engine's actual output. both could be right- .1% HC is 1000ppm, in other words, a HUGE ammout. .1% *of the limit* would be a small number, of course. The modern three-way catalyst is a marvel of applied engineering. Works great, has no moving parts. Only problem in in lamda systems, with oxygen sensors, the oxygen sensor has a murder-suicide pact with the cat.- if the oxygen sensor fails, engine goes to full rich and the cat may melt down, blocking the exhaust flow and taking a while to troubleshoot. If I ever had time on my hands I'd probably try to retro-fit my '70 with catalysts, and it probably wouldn't work, what with the relativly sloppy mixture control even a good carb has. I figured one-per-bank rather than the cheap two-to-one deal of the later type IV... Like I have time for this ;) Maybe I'd just have to spring for a type IV with FI :)

I saw an article about ice-racing where some guy has put a Porsche 911 motor in a Saab Sonnet III FWD sports car... so at least one air-cooled into a water-cooled chassis has been done...

Bob writes about poorly fitting full-flow-filter adaptors. How come nobody imports the spin-on-filter adaptor I saw on a stock beetle engien at the VW dealer in Tijuana? Does it not fit old cases?

Finally, Lee, I'll stop at the Union 76 Station on my way home tonight and see if I can get one of those antenna balls for you. They exist and are exactly as you describe.

Work calls! Bill