Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Mar 1996 14:48:49 -0500
From:         "Kristopher B." <kbrzesc@pb.net>
Subject:      Re: Trip Logs and Tehachapi Runs

> I use the internet primarily for private communications, private posts easily > outnumber my public posts by a hundred to one. I post articles publically > when I feel they will be appreciated by a fair percentage of that particular > list's subscribers. Such appreciation is rarely indicated. There are always > the polite few whose responses I value, but there is also always the impolite > few, for whom I suspect even news of the Second Coming would be greeted with > derisive and scatological comments. Indeed, the impolite posters are a > constant. No matter what the content of the post, they take the time to find > something negative to say, although their numbers are usually balanced by > more positive responses. In the case of the Tehachapi run, the impolite > nay-sayers outnumbered all others. > > After posting my question about future trip reports my mail box was jammed > with traffic. I lost track of the positive responses somewhere around the > hundred mark. > > So this is a general Thank You to the list. You've shown me what I should of > realized all along, that the quiet majority who find some value in such > positings far outnumber the noisy few who do not, and even when a post is not > appreciated, it is tolerated, for it reflects a media and form of expression > that if trampled will ultimately cause more harm than good. > > I made a concerted effort to respond to each of you individually but fear > several messages fell through the cracks. I offer the above partly in > explanation for my lack of manners but also to encourage you to share your > experiences with the list and to not be put off by the sharp retorts of a > disgruntled few. > > -Bob

I really never posted to the list too much due to the constant bickering about how the list should be used, whether it is the silly: "post what kind of vehicle and problem on subject so I can delete what I don't need" to the ridiculous outcry of Bob's postings...

If there was any reason I dropped the Vintage Vw listserv and subscribed to this one was primarily of Bob's posts... He is the only member I have read every post from.

Yet all of you can somehow complain about the one facet I enjoy about the list? How come you don't send hundreds of messages to all the people who send private messages publicly to the hundred's of list memebers? How come you don't complain about the people who quote a three page message only to have a comment at the bottom of it like:

"Why don't you give 'em to Steve? :)"

Or some kind of understood inside joke that is not only not funny, but a waste of time?

With all the governmental regulation that is going on, the only true voice that an individual has now is voting (which you can debate on your own privately) as well as public postings. If the writer feels that there is something to share to everybody, he/she posts. If you are interested, you read; if not, you delete...

I've heard it before, "Oh, I get hundred of messages a day and I only read five! Stop posting crap." I've said that to myself as well... but then I learned that if you keep your eyes fixated on the message line, you can simply hit delete... That's the "D" key in pine, or click on Delete on browser of your choice... What use to take me an hour a day while I was on digest mode takes me mere minutes.

Listen... I don't enjoy reading the same questions about the merits of an 009, or if californians are going on a picnic (since I live in New York), and I don't want to hear about a mechanic in Alabama, who didn't know the difference between a 34pict3 and a 30pict2 (or whatever!), but I do enjoy reading about real problems about vans that I can learn from, and I do enjoy reading posts about restorations and treks. And I do enjoy reading Bob's posts.

If you don't like wasting bandwith, complain about the idiots who quote whole messages... Complain about the morons who ask Rich if he is going to the bug in on a forum of hundreds of readers because the poster wasn't smart enough to jot down his friends email addess...

Or you could do the smart thing... unsubscribe or go to digest mode.. It's so easy I will tell you how to do it...

Send email to: LISTSERV@LENTI.MED.UMN.EDU

Leave Message line blank and in body of message write:

UNSUBSCRIBE VANAGON

OR

SET MAIL DIGEST

--Kris

PS - Bob, I am sorry I didn't personalize this to you, but I wanted to make sure you read what I sent, just in case you unsubscribed.