Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:00:26 -0500
From:         "Rodney L. Boleyn" <boleyn@scr.siemens.com>
Subject:      78 won't start / electrical

As promised, a description of the 78's starting difficulties:

I put the key in the ignition, turn it to ON, the two red lights come on, then I turn in to START. Chunk. That's all, doesn't turn over. Turn it off, then back to ON. Nothing at all, not even the two red lights. Hit START again, not even a chunk this time.

Dead battery, I thought. Something drained the battery down overnight. So I played around with starting it from my other car's battery. In the process, I learned that a) that didn't help, and b) the bus's battery is holding a nice steady 12.8 V. Okay, maybe the battery's not dead.

So I try starting it from its own battery again. It cranks over this time, but won't start. Hmmm. Try again. Nothing. No lights on the dash, in fact, the door's open this time, and after hitting START, the door buzzer is not even buzzing. Check the clock, the clock is not ticking off seconds. Dead stopped. OK, apparently not the ignition switch.

After each attempt at starting, the whole electrical system--fused, unfused, switched, unswitched, everything--just shuts down for about 30 seconds. Nothing I do in that time produces any result. I tried measuring the voltage across the battery during one of these outages, and THAT didn't even produce a result. My DMM reported "OL"--overload--which would normally indicate a voltage out of its range, i.e., greater than 400V DC. If there was a dead short somewhere (like through the starter), I would *think* it should read zero or close to it.

I also thought that the single "chunk" might indicate that the starter gear is sticking, and tried Muir's approach of putting it in 3rd gear and pushing it backwards to unlock it. That didn't help.

After playing with it for an hour and experiencing about 6-7 of these outages (and of course the one time it did crank), the battery voltage was down to about 12.4V, and I decided to give up and mull it over and seek opinions.

Any of this ring a bell with anyone? Like I said before, I'm gonna run through as many of Muir's procedures as seem applicable, and if that doesn't help, I'll report back... but I'm open to suggestions.

-Rodney