Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:21:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Porter_Fred%PAX9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil
Subject:      repair procedure: starter on 87 syncro

Saturday, I replaced the starter on my 87 syncro with a rebuilt bosch unit purchased from Pep Boys for $118 with a $37 core charge. I did this because the solenoid was intermittently inop in cold temperatures and getting worse.

Disconnect the positive battery terminal.

To loosen the upper starter mounting bolt, the van should be on the ground. Disconnect a vacuum line that impedes access to the bolt. Also disconect the airline from the filter box to the fuel manifold at the manifold and then move the air filter box off to the side. Using an 8mm allen to hold the bolt, loosen the nut with a 17mm open wrench. I could not remove the bolt on the old unit the whole way, because of surface irregularities on the starter.

Lift the van, leaving the emergency brake off.

Spray all bolts to be turned with liquid wrench.

Now is a good time to change the oil also, while the liquid wrench does its job.

Remove the CV joint at the transmission housing by removing the six 6 mm allen bolts. Rotating the rear right wheel as necessary to gain access to the allen bolts. One of the allen sockets was rounded out so I used a pair of vice grips. Removal of the CV was necessary to remove the long bolts on the diff lock vacuum switch and also to provide add'l clearance to lower the starter. once off, I covered the open end of the cv with a plastic bag.

Remove the bolts holding the differential lock vacuum switch using a 7mm wrench. do not loosen the nuts because they are welded (as the bently says) to the bracket. Remove the vacuum switch by just pulling it off. There was no rolled pin on mine. Then remove the bracket by removing the two 9mm bolts and the circlip on the lock piston.

Now pull the boot back on the main battery terminal to expose the 13 mm nut. Removal of this nut was pretty difficult for me. clearances were tight with the syncro gas tank right there. Pull back the main battery wire and the additional wire on the post.

Cut the ziptie on the solenoid that holds a wire against it. This makes lowering the starter easier. remove the other wire that goes to the solenoid. it has a retension catch that is released by squeezing the terminal. this disengages a plastic piece on the connector and allows the wire to be disconnected.

Loosen the lower starter mounting nut with a 15mm wrench.

put formagasket on the new unit let it partially set while removing the old unit.

remove the starter by turning, wiggling, angling the unit to get it to slide out from the transmission and then clear the gas tank.

installing the new unit was lots easier than removing the old unit.

first connect the lighter gauge wire with the plastic connector. l lift up the new unit, holding the upper mounting bolt in its bolt hole and slotting over the lower mounting bolt. The main battery terminal was to stiff and big (kinda phalic) to connect before raising the new starter. Put the lower mounting 15mm nut on its bolt, BUT DON'T TIGHTEN COMPLETELY.

Now, working pretty blind, put both wires back on the main battery terminal of the solenoid, put the 13 mm nut and lock washer back on and roll the boot back over the terminal. Zip tie the wire to the solenoid. I dropped the 13 mm nut several times before i got the threads engaged. If you have butterfingers like i did, be ready to watch where the nut falls.

reassemble vacuum switch bracket and CV, being carefull not to get any dirt on thhe cv interface.

lower the van and since the lower mounting bolt is stilll loose, i could wiggle the starter to get the bolt holes lined up and then slide the upper mounting bolt home and tighten down the 17mm nut, reconnect vacuum and air lines.

crawl under van (or raise again) and tighten down the 15mm lower mounting nut.

reconnect the positive battery terminal and start. reset clock and radio presets