Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 1996 12:58:32 -1000
From:         rsthj@aurora.alaska.edu (Thomas Johnson)
Subject:      MOFOCO report

Hi All,

I ordered some parts from MOFOCO for a bug engine I am working on and they sent me mainly junk. Here are the problems:

The wrist pin bushings on the "rebuilt" connecting rods were over sized and out-of-round.

The reground camshaft had worn out bearing surfaces.

The "Good Used" crank timing gear had smashed teeth.

Out ouf the eight valve adjustment screws they sent, seven were the 9mm type IV style.

The new oil cooler was the wrong one.

The "brand new heads" were assembled with used intake valves and used valve springs.

All of the parts are dirty--the crank was slightly magnetic and had lots of shot stuck to it--not healthy for a new engine

On a positive side, aside from the shot, the reground crankshaft is quite good. All of the machined surfaces are right on the button and runout is virtually nil.

I've sent all but the heads back and given them the opertunity to make good. I'll report the results.

-Tom