Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 01:19:12 -0500 (EST)
From:         Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>
Subject:      Re: Heat

At 10:57 AM 2/29/96 -0800, you wrote: >Derek: > >You ever get heat in your bus? > >I bought the Thermal Systems but have never installed it and have pretty >much now decided to sell it and get a conventional propane furnace (mounted >where the small lower cabninet is).

This one factor is the only thing that held me back from putting in this Termal Systems heater so I haven't bought one yet. I simply cannot come to terms with where it might be installed. In the meantime, I rigged up some Coleman Black Cat heaters (discontinued now) to use propane from the existing tank. I screw these portable heaters into the propane system when I want heat and move them around on the floor to wherever I want them positioned at the moment. I can even move them up into the top bunk if I want. They are not vented though, and after about 10 hours I notice my carbon monoxide detectors go off even if I leave the window open.

>I could never find a place for the Thermal Systems heater that wouldn't >significantly compromise our use of the van. I'd also be constantly worried >that my dog would set herself on fire. > >Do you have any reccomendations on a furnace?

Some people on the list have claimed that you can install a conventional furnace in place of the little utility closet to the rear of the refrigerator but I have never found a model of modest amp draw (or even high amp draw) that fits in that place. Cannot figure out which heater they are talking about.

Gotta make posts to the list to flush these people out or disprove the rumor. Martha's been harking in this direction, so gotta see what she found out.

>Hope things are going well. > >Paul

Quite well for me though it has taken some time to adjust to all the changes in the marketplace. This Internet thing is a wild and wooly ride, as everybody from Microsoft to Prodigy to AT&T to Murdoch is finding out, much to their dismay. The whole thing is playing in to my hands, though I have no announcements at this time.

Glad to hear from you again. Too bad about the heater. I admire Dave Garth's setup. Seen his web pictures? ___________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup, checked infrequently)