Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:14:09 -0500
From:         Crazed Idiot        (sean         bartnik         ) <sbart7kb@mwcgw.mwc.edu>
Subject:      please help -- starting problem

Hey all,

I had posted about this problem before but now it seems that it's back with a vengeance.

Here's what happens: When turning the key to the start position, the starter does not run. I don't hear the solenoid clunking or anything. The lights on the dash dim and I can hear the fuel pump running (this is a '78, fuel injected bus) but that's it.

I thought I had this problem licked -- over spring break I got under the car and cleaned up the very nasty and corroded connections on the solenoid. This took care of the problem until yesterday. It seems to only happen when something electrical is on before starting the car. For example, yesterday it happened after I had the flashers on for a while. Today it was when just the ignition was on (I was fixing my horn).

Banging on the solenoid no longer solves the problem, like it did before I cleaned the connections up. The battery is fully charged and all connections on the battery are tight.

However, I've noticed that one of the POs has apparently put in some kind of relay under the dash. It doesn't look like a factory job. Let me describe:

a red wire comes from in front (front is front) of the fuse box and into one of the terminals of the relay. A black wire comes from the relay and goes off into the nether regions of the car somewhere. There is also a blue wire which comes from in front of the fuse panel and connects to another terminal on the relay. This relay might be bad. When the key is turned on, I can hear the relay click. When the key is turned off, it makes another noise, kinda like a boink. When the key is turned to start it also makes this boink noise. I wonder if it's turning off when the key is turned to start, effectively blocking current to the solenoid.

I figure that either the relay is bad or the solenoid is bad. As far as I can tell, the ignition switch is good, i.e. wiggling it doesn't make the car start or anything. If I replace the relay, how do I know what kind to replace it with and how do I know how to connect it properly?

Another reason I think the relay might be bad is that if I remove the relay entirely and disconnect the wires from it and leave the wires disconnected, the same symptom occurs. Taking the relay out of the equation does not change the results.

The relay is not plugged into the fuse block, it is bolted to the car body under the dash.

Any suggestions? I really need help with this one as this bus is now my only method of transportation and I'm 400 miles from home. I need this thing to start!

thanks in advance for all help, Sean