Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:29:38 -0500
From:         Gcarlen@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '85 Cluster

>Here is my situation, hopefully I can get some insight from some other >members. I have a dying engine in my '85, as well as a stuffed-up cat >(converter, not pet.) As we all know, I'm looking at big bucks here - >Please no flames from the aircoolies. > >$2400 Longblock >$750 Labor >$800 Cat. Convert. >------------------ >$3950 (plus other extras probably) > >Which option do I take. > >A) KEP Subaru Conversion Kit, (if it ever passes emissions) > >B)Above New Parts Route > >C) Used Complete 2.1 from newer vanagon/with full exhaust system, FI >system > >D) Sell for parts, use money to create "I was waterfooled" foundation, >serving the interest of prospective wasserboxer owners. > > >

That seems AWEFULLY expensive for a rebuild on a 1.9l. 800 for a Cat? Wow! I have an 85 westy that I think is the best thing since sliced bread. I would recommend either replacing with a used 2.1l or rebuilding your 1.9l. I would , however, find a cheaper way to rebuild the 1.9l.

I did my rebuild on my 1.9l for about $600. Here is the general costs. 100 Shop time ($4/hr) 240 Parts (main,rod,cam bearings; rings, oil pump, gasket sets) 85 Machine service (mic&polish crank & cam,dip case) 50 Service items (oil,filter,coolant, etc...) 125 Front exhaust pipe

Keep in mind, I did ALL labor myself, the shop was at a military base. The heads, valves, valve guides, etc, cam, crank and case were all in good condition. I didn't count the $85 for a Bentley's and about $100 in tools I 'needed'.

I found the engine to be easy to work on. Once you remove the accessories, the engine was almost as easy to work on as the air cooled. It took me about three weeks complete to do the job. A week of evenings to remove and dissasemble the engine, a week with parts at the machine shop and another week to reassemble, install, tune and adjust. I would not call it a beginners job.

If you want the numbers of the parts house I used, I would be glad to post.

That was last summer. I am now getting about 18mpg in the city and 21mpg on the highway.

-Gregg 85 Westy, 76 Goldwing, 51 Plymouth, 75 Mercedes ... need more toys!