Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:11:17 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Gas Milage problem(?)

In a message dated 96-03-12 01:24:37 EST, GOLDBERG_DAVID@mpd.tandem.com writes:

>Last week it got relatively cold(low-mid 20's), and I noticed, along with the >usual crappy performance(carb conversion), my gas milage dropped thru the >floor. The week before(65 deg and up) I was doing about 18mpg, normal. I >haven't checked this weeks milage, but looking at the gas gauge, it is at >1/4 tank, and I have just broken 100 miles. Also when the temps were cold >it ran like it had a bad spark plug, but when warm it did not. Is this >normal >or would I be correct in thinking that one or more spark plugs did not >survive >the cold snap? Or maybe time for new dist. cap, and rotor? Wires, >plugs,points >were replace before Thanksgiving trip to Disney(for those who remember), >don't >know when the dist cap and rotor were last replaced. >Although it was warmer there was a large improvement in performance, but not >to the standards of 2 weeks ago and before. > >

I suppose you have one of those carbs mounted in the center of a manifold. This problem is typical as this instalation does not have any heat at the bottom of the manifold. The gas from the carb just puddles at the manifold bottom and pours(slugs) into the cylinders. Not only does this create poor performance and fuel economy, just think about emmisions. The raw fuel also gets into the crankcase as it washes past the rings. Wait till warm weather and things will be better. This is another one of those reasons the EPA is looking to get our vehicles off the road. We all nned to be more concious of removing our FI systems for the cheaper way out. Dennis.