Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 1996 23:27:38 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      long EV letters

Well, it won't do you much good but Carter VW in Seattle claimed that they took the factory training and now do their own service on the Winnebago parts, due in large part to the problems with finding a decent Winnebago shop that can deal with this van. (Although I don't know what's so hard about it - I guess maybe because so much is crammed into a smaller space than an RV would have.)

I don't think 'loaner car's are required, although many dealers do make them available as an incentive. You normally do have to call in advance.

What alarms tell you to plugin when the battery is low? You know that the LP Gas alarm remains a drain on the battery, although if you're driving it every day this shouldn't be a problem. Assuming the van is still under warranty, just take it down to a center, conduct a specific gravity test on each cell with them present. Conduct a voltage test on entire battery. Have them remove the battery and do a load test (although since this isn't a cold-crank battery this may not be relevant.) My point is, if the battery is defective it is easy to test for, and easy to replace.

It sounds like, from your description of putting "a switch on???" that they just provided you with a disconnect switch because you have a short somewhere that's draining your battery down. They worked around the problem because they don't know the camper stuff well enough to fix it.

Your saga of the middle seat I didn't quite follow. But $400 was the going rate as I recall.

Where did you hear that they aren't going to market EVs in this country? The Campers are still for sale, and last I heard VW was introducing the next non-Camper version this Spring.

Also, where did you hear the 200,000 figure? Just curious, but that number seems high. I'm sure they're not all campers!

regarding your original questions: - I like the Eurovan. I haven't developed a 'love' for it (yet). I'm still kind of fond of my old Vanagon too. - I haven't had any trouble with the service. Well there was a bad camper battery in it when I picked it up, and it took 2 return visits to get them to swap it out, but other than that, no problem.

I didn't quite follow that large stream of letters, but it sounds like: - VW dealer sent you to Winnebago service as per VW warranty; - Winnebago fixed the problem and ripped the floor; - Winnebago then (after you & VW dealer got after them) agreed to bring the floor back to "stock condition". - Winnebago contractor then failed to deliver on that agreement. - Winnebago representative came out and inspected the job, and said it was repaired to stock condition, but "avoided" you. - Winnebago contractor says they did the repair to Winnebago spec.

Basically it sounds like you got a bum VW dealer and a bunch of flakes at the Winnebago place as well. What evidence do you have that this Winnebago rep actually showed up? It sounds to me like they're pulling a fast one on you. I don't blame them for not wanting to pull the cabinets out to replace the linoleum - they're trying to make a living after all. But they did screw it up in the first place and that is "stock condition."

Do you have any friends that are lawyers?

This one should be a lesson to all to test everything in a new car before driving it off the lot and therefore taking delivery. And all this because they didn't know how to remove the seat.

defender of EVs (for today) -rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------