Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:43:33 -0500
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Loose as a Goose

The local VW guru did the major brakework that she was needing.

New pads on the back, new rubber brake lines, and a new cylinder on one side. Sand glaze off front pads (since they were doing ALL of the work). New bearing on drivers front. ====== i remember telling you a while ago to check those brake lines. (doncha love it)

no comment on the muffler.

Again, the stupid bolts that hold the gear reduction box to the rear swing-arm have come loose!

I _lost_ the main one, so when you accelerate or decelerate the rear of the bus goes all crazy wabbly and you have to steer to correct it. I noticed it was gone, so decided to check the rest. Two of the three rear bolts were loose! =========== SCAREEEE!! You dont want that to fall out from under you!

Since this is my third time around at losing the main bolt, I've got some big plans. I understand there is a heavy duty lock-tite stuff that will work to hold it in.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I plan to use some carb cleaner and a tooth-brush to get the hole cleaned out thoroughly, and get a new bolt and throw it back in with the lock-tite. I'm sick of having a crazy steering bus! ======= how are your threads? instead of locktite, i would get the wonky bolt holes bored out to a slightly larger size, and use the corresponding slightly larger bolts. i did this and was happy. Then again, you could just weld the d#@* thing on..........