Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:41:38 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      EV manuals

Well, the EV manuals arrived today. They appear to be the same ones that Trace received awhile back. Although these have big yellow stickers saying that they're being provided under Federal law and aren't really meant for people without factory training! They also have a disclaimer saying that they were derived from the VW-AG manuals for Britain and Europe.

Included was a set of 3 Technical Bulletin updates - mainly for wiring diagrams and some troubleshooting sections. Last update was 9/93. That tells me something. They changed the bulletin format in 1993, so they obsoleted the 1992 Canadian wiring diagrams - if anyone is interested I could send them. No guarantees regarding their accuracy though.

Other manuals I don't need: automatic transmission and diesel engine. Maybe the "CV Camper and MV" but I may decide to hang onto it - the CV Camper looks like the one they should have imported! It has 2 aux batteries, and has a control panel up over the rear view mirror for electrical and status. A nice touch. I looked around briefly for that rear heating duct that Tim (?) had such problems with but didn't see it at first glance. I did find the coolant fan fuses though - those are 50A fuses - quite a lot of current! (That doesn't seem right - I'll bet they're really on 5.0A)

Also I had heard about the twin door models but here there are pictures - apparently they were only released in Canada. They also mention flatbeds and models with dual sliding doors.

And stuff on the rear fog lights - these seem like a really smart thing - anyone know if they're available in the US? (Also, does the person who offered to get proper European fog light switches still subscribe?)

Anyway, if anyone was waiting to hear - these are clearly the factory manuals. Lots of references to VAG tools. Instructions for downloading the Engine Control Module diagnostic codes, etc. Lots of diagrams of engines and how a lot of stuff goes together. Not a lot of hand-holding. I suspect that the Bentley will still be a good thing to get *if* they ever get it out.

Now I'm waiting for the Winnebago manual to come in - that one was only US$20.

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------