Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:46:23 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      spin-on filters

Other than seeing it at the dealer, I don't know much more about the spin-on filter adaptor for uprights. They didn't have any in stock when we visited. Maybe David Schwartz or some other San Diegan could be persuaded to make a research trip?

Apparently there is a late model upright 1600 case for Vanagons with a spin-on filter boss. Anyway, my beloved brother did some research and found: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Throughout the 13 model years of the Vanagon, there were 1600cc carbureted "base models" available in Europe. The engine case was essentially the same as any late model bug or case you've ever seen, EXCEPT that VW FINALLY got around to casting in a provision for a spin-on, full-flow OIL FILTER. This is one goodie that the beetle never had, and the bus didn't have until the Type 4 motor was introduced in '72.

How to get one? I found a VW agency in the UK that would ship to the US, but they wanted-gasp!- US$1800 for a new case!

Yep, I've looked high and low in the US for the way-cool 1600cc Vanagon engine cases, and no luck. It would be easy if they sold 'em in Canada, but they never did. I only learned about them in the Haynes manual for the 80-83 air cooler Vanagon, which was written in the UK. (Actually, I've found the Haynes manuals to be a storehouse of photogs and specs on tasty, european only VW parts and accessories.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is all I know about the subject, see your air-cooled Vanagon Haynes manual for more!

Cheers! Bill