Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:26:41 -0500
From:         Gcarlen@aol.com
Subject:      Good Mechanics/Shops

I would like to know of shops/mechanics that people have had good service at. I live in the DC Metro area and finding a good shop is next to impossible. I have often resorted to mail order for supplies, parts and machine work.

I'll set the example by putting the names and contact info of quality shops that I would recommend to friends and continue to use. I don't have any personal gain or ties to these shops, I just have had good service and though I would pass my recommendations along.

I have an 85 1.9l Vanagon Westy and have been very pleased with:

Olympic Imported Parts Corp 5168 Eisenhower Ave Alexandria, VA 22304 703-370-0850 800-572-2440 Note: Excellant prices on watercooled engine parts. Most items in stock, 1-2 day turn around on non-stock items. If you ask for a price break, they will work with you. Especially on large purchases.

Caton's Machine Shop 871 Highams Court Woodbridge, Va 22129 703-491-2500 Note: Phil Hall is manager. WELL RUN shop. They know their stuff! They do all types of engines. Prices are extremely reasonable. I have had nothing but excellant work from them. Never had to go back for a redo.

National Tire Wharehouse (NTW) 8195 Backlick Rd Lorton, Va 22079 703-550-7610 Note: A chain company, however, this particular store is run very well. They keep their mechanics for years at a time (a rarity in DC). They are well trained and have a true feeling for customer service. Prices are comprable to other shops in area but they will beat any price if you mention it and then take off a '5% good customer' discount if you ask for it. They are extremely good about no questions asked returns and repairs on warrantied items. They have done excellant work on my suspension and brake systems, not to mention quality tires.

Well, that's my contribution. Any others?

-Gregg 85 Westy, 76 Goldwing, 51 Plymouth, 75 Mercedes ... need more toys!