Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 96 13:36:04 +0100
From:         verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com (brian verbeek)
Subject:      Re: Emissions, engine swaps, full-flow filters, 76 balls

To all,

Clara wrote about a '72 1600 Bus with oilfilter.

I've seen it on a '71/'72 Superbug. It also had the dual springplates. The filter was on the generatorstand, surrounded by the pulleys and fanbelt. It's about 8 or 9 years ago and i never seen one since, i would like to know everything there is to know about these engines. I believe, not sure, they were for Skandinavia or other cold climates, i don't recall where i got that info.

I don't like external plumbing as well, but an oilfilter is a very desirable feature on a VW engine.

There are some options to achieve a filtered oil supply without external plumbing:

-Buy a filterpump. Make sure it fits the case. (almost certain that you need to have it hard-anodized to achieve that) Most of these require some modification of the stock exhaustsystem. Check it like you would check any other oilpump, endplay, sharp edges on gearteeth, be carefull with any pump that's not made by VW. Bob has written a few sermons about these. I have seen a picture of a filterpump from a German supplier, Hoffmann Speedster in Viersen Germany. It looked different than the ones you usually see in catalogs. It has cooling fins and appears to be longer than other filterpumps i've seen. This pump costs around 150 to 160 Marks and might as well be the a good useable version of this concept. (at last!) If you have a VW with rear engine mount, like a Bus or a T III, the filterpump cannot be used without altering the mount, i don't think that's easy.

-'79>'82 Transporter 1600 CT enginecase. Gives you T4-like hydraulic lifters at the same time. I said it was an AS41 cast before but i was wrong, it's AS 21, i'm sorry for that. This motor was designed as a pancake-engine. It can be converted to upright, BUT: you miss the thermostat stud on the right-bottom, the oilcooler holes have to be bored to accept the stock upright coolerseals, the oilcooler holes are moved about 2", 3" to the rear, closer to the distributor. You could use a stock Dog House cooler and adaptor, so the cooler is about where a non-doghouse cooler would be, use the non-doghouse fanshroud, trim it a little so it fits over the cooler adaptor. These engines have M6 oilcooler studs, change theem to M8, and while your at it, change the generatorstand studs too, they are also M6. The worst thing is the rear of the engine, it has 4 cast-on 'ears' to support the stock steel T4-looking fanshroud, you have to remove these. I have such a case and i did with a saw and some files because this case was beyond repair and i didn't want to invest money in it. I wanted to see how it would look. Then you'd like to bolt your pulleytin to the case but there are no holes provided, no bosses to drill 'em into either, so you'd have to think about something. If you have question about this case i can look at it and try to answer them, i have one of those apart in my garage. You could also look in the achives for my earlier posts about this engine.

-The early 70s 'oilfilterengine' of which i know nothing.

-The Mexican Case which is probably the best all round choice, it is allready an upright engine and will most likely have Hydraulic lifters. (and cheap :) ) I know nothing about it. ((((I could find out though, this MexiBug importer here in the Netherlands bought 200 Bugs. They are allready here. The Dutch vehicle inspection didn't approve them because the driprail would be too sharp, he can't register them, so who'd want to buy one of those? I'm sure it's all politics. A few months ago, he imported his first batch, no problems. They're all sold and there is demand for more. The price is a bit high though, 25,000 Dutch Guilders. So he decides to bring more at a time to bring cost down. And now he has the 200 Bugs which aren't approved. I think Pon, the Dutch importer, didn't see it as a thread at first, but now Pon sees 200 of the damn things coming in, competition for their MDB. I think that THEY think that this will sell less MDB's in 1998. Because, in a certain way, they are eachothers only competitors. Plus, if these people decide to buy an MDB in '98 they probably want to trade in their 2yr.old MexiBug... what can they say? What can they do? We don't want 'em?))))

-The Wasserboxer case. It can be converted to a regular aircooled engine. I do not know of which material it is made (can someone tell me?) I have never seen one up close. If you buy an old WB shortblock you'll have a 'stroker crank' too :) The Wasserboxer accepts the various T4 flywheel/clutch combinations, modify the pilot bearing if your bolting it up to a tranny that's used to a T1 engine. You got rid of the dreaded Glandnut and dowels, now you have five serious bolts to connect you flywheel. The Germans use the 911/930 cooling fan/shroud on such an engine, i'm looking into converting it into a regular upright but i don't know if VW retained the oilcooler in/outlets, fuelpump location and generatorstand-opening. Has hydraulic lifters too.

Brian.