Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:12:11 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Rad flushing musings

Dear Hosers (and especially Tim):

Having experienced reduced heater output, possibly from liberal additions of BarsLeak and AlumaSeal i will be flushing cores this spring. Here are some thoughts:

You can do just the cores themselves. I've done this on both my '85 and the '87. I do this because the thought of gallons of 'aggressive cleaners' circulating thru my leaky system makes me nervous. It is a little equipment intensive but with some scrounging most people have enough junk around to accomplish this. well, if you live like someone akin to Red Green (who will be in Bemidji on Saturday).

-disconnect heater hoses as they attach to engine. location varies by year but are fairly easy to get to. -hook up a circulating pump, a vat in which you can heat a large quantity of liquid, and a propane burner. i use a 10 gallon boiling vessel, a 170K BTU burner, and a 12v pump. -fill the keg with a few gallons of water, dump in your favorite chemical, light the burner, and let this circulate a few hours. -flush well with clear water. -lastly, i have a garden hose adapter that also allows bursts of compressed air to be shot in the water stream for dislodging contaminants. it has a stepped nozzle for fitting a variety of heater hose diameters and a schrader valve to jet the air in with a tire chuck. it seems to loosen some crud.

this has worked well for me, though it borders on techno-geek. the service manager at VW here in town asked me how to get more heat out of the Vanagon and i detailed this. he just shook his head.

Alternatively, you can elect to do the whole system. However, be forwarned that many cleaners foam and can create a headache for you as the radiator air-locks with foam. yes, this is the voice of experience. it is also difficult to flush out the cleaners from the wasserboxer's 19+ liter system. installation of a flushing T in the heater loop would facillitate this but some people are experiencing failure of these T's. i think i will install one anyway.

Chemicals. I have read an article that discouraged the use of Oxalic acid, this is the cleaner in the powdered Prestone 2-step cans. I used this before i read the article and it did no harm. i will check that article again to see what the specific problem was with it. but i seem to recall that it wasn't effective on solder bloom. actually, since the vanagon uses an aluminum based cores, solder bloom is not a factor in the radiator or heater circuits. essentially, we want a degreaser/emulsifier/cleaner. i haven't yet decided what product to use. the cans are not very descriptive as to their active ingredients.

One thought. some cleaners are organic based. maybe, just maybe one of these would react with the neoprene head seal, swelling it and stopping our leaks. huh? ya think? not likely. might try one this time though.

-dan