Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:30:25 -0500
From:         MrJimmy3@aol.com
Subject:      87 Syncro - new engine/same problem

Hello to all,

Around the first of the year I had a Remanufactured engine (by VW) installed by an independent Service for Vw’s. This is after trying to fix the old one with new heads (which didn’t solve the entire problem). Anyways, I was really excited with my new Xmas present to myself. I was under the impression that my 87 Syncro was finally trip worthy.

Well, as some of you may know, I had a surfacing Air Flow meter problem which was causing the bucking / jerking syndrome. I was initially dissapointed because I had the “100 buck wire harness” installed at the time of the core replacement. Before finding out that it was the airflow meter, I installed a new idle regulator (180 bucks) and a new Oxy Sensor (130 bucks). Although these parts were probably needed they were not the cause of my problem.

After joining the list and working through all possible contributors to my lurching 87, we narrowed it down to a worn out Air box. AND MANY THANKYOUS - to all that helped in this free fix - tearing the meter open and bending the wiper arm to make new contacts.

Well, the point of the story is, I was still not completely satisfied with my new engine. On the first start of the day (I drive the van 4-5 days a week) it would make the tapping sound of a bad lifter. The engine had only 3000 miles on it. And after it was warm, there was no tapping at all. However, until then, the tapping would come and go until it had finally warmed up completely. Ulsers were setting in.

I took it back to the Independent Service that had originally installed the engine and done much of the work on the Van already. They did a valve adjustment, and found that they were “somewhat” loose. Charged me 50 bucks! I was pissed with 3 ulsers. I bitched and said it should be covered under warranty, they said Talk to VW America. So I did.

VW america said, “Take it to the Dealer”. By the way, even after the valve adjustment, it was still tapping!!! Welp, yesterday evening, the dealer called and said, “yes, it was tapping, and guess what, the valves were out of Adjustment. 65 bucks. Ooooooohhhhhh.

I called the indepent and said, “look, help me out here”. He was pissed, at first at me. And I put it straight, and told him I had paid good money. Calmed him down, and then he became upset with the dealer - who he had actually purchased the engine through. He agreed to reimburse me for both valve adjustments.

Question: Does a new remanufactured need a Valve adjustment? Who do you think is at fault. And, Has anyone ever had a “Bad” remanufactured - possibly the same problems.

Thanks to all Jim Hager 87 Syncro (bought in ‘95) Cascade Colorado