Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:41:19 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Extra battery

<< I've been searching Archives for infor on installing a 2nd battery - for backup and accessories. I figured you would probaby know - if you would - let me know your experience - or where one might locate this in the Archives Thanks Jim Hager 87 Syncro >>

Jim, There were numerous discussions about 6-12 weeks ago on 2nd battery installations. There are 4 basic ways to connect a 2nd battery into the system. I can't go into all the details, but they should be in the archives. Personally, I don't know how to access the archives. Four basic setups are:

1. Connect both batteries up in parallel. Use a BIG wire (like the wire from the battery to the starter. It's BIG!) between the first & second batteries and creat a good ground for the second battery. This method makes both batteries operate like one really BIG battery. They both get charged & discharged together.

2. Use a relay to isolate the positive sides of the battery. The relay should only provide a connection between the batteries when the engine is running. This allows you to discharge the 2nd battery (powering accessories & such) without having to worry about discharging the primary battery. After the engine is running, the relay closes the circuit between the batteries allowing the alternator to charge the second battery in addition to the first. This same basic plan can be used with a manually operated switch between the batteries, BUT you have ro remember to engage the switch at the proper times (open while using the 2nd battery, closed while alternator is charging 2nd battery) to avoid discharging both batteries & getting stuck. Whether using a switch or a relay you need one that's rated for a lot of current - like 30 Amps.

3. Use a commercially available (JCWhitney, some FLAPS, boating supply stores) battery isolator to allow the alternator to charge both batteries, while keeping their discharges seperate. This method is similar to the relay method, but isolators have an inhierent voltage drop across them, I think about 1/2 volt, preventing either battery from becomming fully charged. A solution to this is to use a voltage regulator that allows a higher voltage to be generated, and then after the isolator's voltage drop the voltage at the batteries is high enough. In a Vanagon wiring with this method is a problem, because of the layout & distance of the circuit between the alternator/starter & battery.

4. Use a large current diode to isolate just one battery. This allows the primary battery to receive full voltage from the alternator (with standard regulator), while the 2nd battery gets about 1/2 volt less - due to the diode. This is the method that I have in my 87 Syncro right now. I only have the second battery there as a spare and don't have any loads attached to it right now. If the primary battery gets discharged, I can connect a jumper cable between the two positive posts and allow the 2nd battery to start the van.

I'd say that the most useful method would be #2 above, relay isolation. I didn't choose it for my setup beacuse I did not have loads (like a refrigerator, etc) that I planned on using the second battery for and installation & wiring was very simple. I may convert over to the relay isolation someday if I get ambitious.

Hope this helps,

Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg