Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 1996 07:22:58 +0000
From:         tjparker@pacificnet.net (Tim Parker)
Subject:      Re: Good News Story?

At 2:18 PM 2/29/96, bill (w.r.) crick wrote: > This is good news? New engine at 18K!! Never stranded in 38K! JEEZ! > The only time my Tercel failed was a 5 minute intermittant > problem that occurred at just beyond 100K miles and I was really miffed > that the piece of S**t failed so early in its life! Had it needed a tow, > I would have been really mad! The 'ignitor' in > the ignition was replaced, and the problem never re-occurred > This is the only part other than brakes, exhaust that has been replaced. > Of course at 110,000 miles, its just getting broken in. > You guys seem to have a bent view of RELIABLE? > > Bill Crick

Okay, worse-case scenario: My EV. Broken down about 9 times now in 32K miles (probably at least 50 percent of these repairs were to fix problems the dealer MGs caused while fixing other problems). That's about 11 times as often projected over the 100K miles on your Thaiyoter Terkle. I've ridden in Terkles. Develop a bruise on the top of my head from hitting the roof and door pillar on bumps. Not the car for me. I could probably get almost 11 of those things in the EV, though I would have to crush them a little to knock the corners off. Seems like a good idea 8^).

I'm betting that once the Bently manual for the EV becomes available and I go at my problems (probably a flukey wiring harness) with a good voltmeter, it'll be a darned nice van for a lot of "100K" miles (I tend to put at least a couple hundred of these on a car if I like it). My 67 bus was still solid after 375K miles (the EV is similarly solidly built), whereas a 66 Dodge van we had for 225K miles had pretty much rattled all the joints loose (there were literally cracks everywhere). Had to really slow down over railroad tracks cause the rattles were deafening!

I cogitated on my options: (1) trade in for some American or Japanese Depot Hack. Even if I wanted one, I'd lose a hell of a lot of money in the process. Nobody offers a stick anymore. I don't "do" automatics. Have to take seats OUT to get much in.

(2) tough it out and figure what's wrong with my electrical system myself. Rest of van is fine, I don't even have the fan resistor or heater tube problems others have talked about. It's also the only "real" van out there that isn't an absolute PIG.

Deciding to go with option 2 for the moment.

-Tim Parker 93 EV GL 60 Singlecab 29 Model A Ford