Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Mar 1996 01:09:33 -0500
From:         Davidmuhl@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Radial tire size for '70 Bus?

Re: Bus tires

Can't speak for Vanagons, but for your '70 Bus, I believe the way to go is what is recommended by VW, the SR185R-14 (second R stands for Reinforced, very important). I believe both Continental and Michelin make such a tire, but I only have experience with the Michelins, and it has been very good. Both these makes were standard equipment on later Buses, when radials came from the factory. I have owned two '71 Buses over the last 15 or so years, and whenever I had a choice the Michelin XZX SR185R-14 (reinforced) was the only tire I'd consider. I ran through two sets of these on my first '71 Bus, and got 75,000 miles on each set with no problems. They last forever, and my experience is they are top quality. Everyone I have owned was either made in France or Germany, as stamped on the sidewall.

My second and current '71 Bus came to me with the previous owners' idea of tire improvement, a set of 205-14 radials. When they wore out and I replaced them with the Michelins, it was like I added power steering. I could not believe the difference in steering effort between the 205's and the 185's. I have never been in a situation that more tire width than 185 was needed. We're talking about a Bus here, not a Porsche. Gas mileage, tire mileage, longevity, etc., are all best served by the standard 185 tire. As long as you stick with the reinforced, and be careful here as Michelin makes this tire both reinforced and non-reinforced, you'll be fine. It will say REINFORCED on the sidewall in large letters. The last pair I bought (about a month ago) put me back about $75 each, installed, but IMHO they are worth it.

They may seem hard to find. I was given one story after another by different tire shops, such as "Michelin doesn't make them any more", "Waiting for another production run", "backorder for next six months". I just kept calling and found a local store who, though he didn't have them in stock, could get them within a couple of hours on a Sat. morning. When I told him what other stores had said re:availability, he said "They just told you that because there's not a lot of money in it for them and they don't want the hassle." As far as I am concerned, they are worth it. Perfectly happy and no problems with them.

BTW, it doesn't say on the tire but I believe the catalog lists them as a 75 series profile, which would make them slightly taller then your 185-70's. Might correct your speedo problem, and as they were factory equipment, shouldn't have any problem with fan speed and cooling.

David '65 Bug (Michelin XZX 155-15's) '71 Bus (Michelin XZX 185R-14's, the only way to fly)