Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Mar 96 23:13 CST
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Xper Tune... (tale)

OK. So I'm trying to deal with my wierd noise problem, described elsewhere. I think to myself, "you know the most expensive single component in the bus is the transmission because you can't rebuild it yourself." So I decide that while I'm eliminating variables I ought to change the trans oil sooner, rather than later. I've been meaning to do it anyway.

But once I spent four hours laying in my mother-in-law's driveway pushing ninety-weight into the carcass of an automatic stick on a '72 Beetle from those little quart bottles you buy at the auto parts store. And I'm never, ever doing that again. I have to find somebody who has one of those groovy pumps.

This being Sunday, the only place close to me with one of those pumps is Xper Tune. I know, I know, but I vow I'll hover and condescend to them so they'll have to do it right.

I drive there, find the service writer, and it's "yeahwecandothatnoproblemjustpullintothefirstbay."

There are Troglodytes at Xpertune. They live in a cavern underneath the building. They are the worker bees. At night the managers throw food scraps down there and run out quickly and lock the doors.

I am hunkered down next to the bus peering at my assigned Troglodyte under the rocker panel. This is the man I have to watch. He is having a look-see.

He knows I am here but he is ignoring me. Surely he has a lot of customers who like to hover and meddle. Sometimes if he ignores these customers they will go away and watch television in the nursery. The Xper Tune nursery. It's to the left as you walk in.

He is examining the front suspension. I do not know why. He examines the front suspnsion for a full two minutes, an awfully long time. Aren't these guys trained to do some sort of twelve-point safety check? Is there something wrong under there? Maybe I have a ball joint dangling? The man is *gawking*, his mouth is hanging open. I am prepared for the worst.

"Where the filter at!"

Ah. Ah. He is forced to refer to me. He has been looking for the engine.

"It's a Volkswagen. It doesn't have an oil filter. We aren't changing the oil," I add helpfully. Maybe if I call him "we" I can get him to cooperate. "We're changing the transmission lube."

He peers some more. Every movement is grudging. Eventually I persuade him toward the back of the bus.

"Do you see the transmission?" I am squatting and pointing under the bus like an idiot.

"Yuh see it." He is looking squarely at the oil sump. "Izzit a stick?"

"Yes," I say, "it's a stick."

"If issa stick we cain do it."

"Of course you can do it. Here is a 17 mm Allen wrench." I brought my own. Am I a fool? "There is a drain plug <here> and and fill plug <here>...Can I come downstairs?"

"<mumble> <shrug>"

Underneath they have shelves with oil filters and air filters in white cartons. You think you're getting name-brand filters at these places? Huh. But nobody on this list would be caught dead at Xpert Tune. ;)

$35 they charged me for the privilege of showing them how to shoot three dollars' worth of oil into a VW transmission. Well you can kiss me on a Sunday, a Sunday...ees very very good.

--Ken '71 Bus, '68 Westy